Thursday, September 5, 2013

Dry Fly Distillery

Right next to the No-Li Brewhouse was a distillery called Dry Fly Distilling.  They had a sign on the door saying "ring the bell" as the door was locked and I didn't see anyone inside.  Curious, I rang the bell.  A couple walked up as I was waiting to see what happened.  A man soon appeared and let us inside where it definitely smelled like a distillery! 

Turns out Dry Fly is shipped all over the country - interesting fact - when they shipped to Georgia, they actually had to increase the size of their bottle because you can't sell smaller quantities of liquor in stores in Georgia.  Who knew!  I knew you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays, but apparently the state encourages you to buy LARGE quantities?!

The couple who entered the distillery with me proceeded to try a few of the products.  I knew I'd be driving so I went with only a taste of the Port Finish Wheat Whiskey as it sounded pretty interesting - it is finished off in barrels that were used by a winery to make port so has a bit of a sweeter finish.  It was delicious and I was sold, so I bought a bottle to take with me to Seattle.

Spokane ended up surprising me - wasn't really expecting much from it, but walking around, I realized how peaceful it is right on the river and how nice everyone seemed to be.  A nice introduction to Washington State, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment