Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Red Light District - Wallace, Idaho

After leaving the Rock Creek Lodge I crossed into Idaho and pulled over so I could stand on the border - one foot in the past and one in the future (it's the time zone line!)

I next stopped in the tiny historic mountain town of Wallace. Apparently it also is home to the center of the universe. On the main drag there are signs pointing down labeled for the center of the universe and in the middle of the street there's a marker saying center of the universe.

I stopped for lunch at the Smokehouse and finally got my bison burger... in Idaho of all places. I also had some tater salad - presumably with idaho's own spuds.

After lunch I walked around a bit. Turns out the town has a two block red light district (not currently operational) - it apparently used to be a frequent stop for the area miners. 

Cute little town... you can literally stand in the middle of town and see both ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment