Sunday, August 25, 2013

Getting Ready to Go

A few times this weekend I caught myself wondering about whether I'd received an email on my blackberry for work and whether I should check it.  It's funny how, while at a big law firm, how ingrained in your daily rituals checking your work email is.  This weekend I slowly started to wean myself off of the impulse to check - instead, leaving it buried at the bottom of my purse... the green light slowly turning to red and then blinking yellow (a sign that the battery is about to die).  I imagine it will take a few days before I don't think about it at all and don't worry about whether there's an urgent email requiring my attention.


While I had big dreams of leaving tomorrow (Monday) morning on this epic drive across country, somehow I neglected the packing and instead spent the weekend visiting friends, having brunch and savoring all that I love about DC and will miss while away.  I've now delayed the start of the big trip till early (goal is 6:30am) Tuesday morning, which means the car will be packed and ready to go tomorrow night!  

Now that I'm back to packing, I've decided there are some key things I'll need for the drive - 
  1. GPS Unit - After nudging from friends, I bought a GPS unit so that when I do enter that dreaded no cell phone zone along the trip, I'll still know how to get from point A to point B.  
  2. Roof Rack - I'm taking my road bike with me and so needed to purchase and install (not as easy as I thought it would be) a roof rack and bike rack on the new car.
  3. XM Radio/iPod - For obvious reasons, I'll need entertainment while driving solo in the car.
  4. Air Mattress - In case I stay with friends/family along the route.
  5. Picnic Blanket - If I find a pretty spot along the way, I may just pull over and lay out in the sun in part to get out of the car but also to blog about my adventures.
  6. Banana Chips and Almond Butter - Best snack for a road trip!
  7. Hiking Boots, Bathing Suit and Towel - If I'm making good time on the trip, I hope to spend some time exploring national parks, hiking a bit, and possibly taking a dip in some lakes or rivers along the way!
In a little over 24 hours I'll be on the road.  No exact route.  No exact plan.  Just me, the car, the open roads and the ultimate goal of learning and experiencing new things on the way to Seattle.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh that blinking yellow light would give me SO much anxiety! I bet that feeling will disappear pretty quickly though once you're out of your normal DC life and onto the open road :) Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete