Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Music Man and the King of Pop

Next stop took me to Gary, Indiana - the town featured in the musical The Music Man as well as the city the Jackson family is from. When entering town I kind of felt like I was entering an abandoned town... everything is run down and the houses are in desperate need of repair. However, on Jackson Street (assume it was renamed after the family moved away) there's a nice house at the end with a fancy fence around it, perfectly manicured lawn and big marble slab in honor of Michael.  This is apparently the house the family grew up in and where Michael's father had the boys rehearse over and over again. Sitting out front of the house you see about one car pull up every 5 min, someone hops out, snaps a pic and leaves. Too bad the rest of the town isn't as nice.

As I drive around town I can't help but sing the song from the Music Man -
"Gary, Indiana!
What a wonderful name,
Named for Elbert Gary of judiciary fame.
Gary, Indiana, as a Shakespeare would say,
Trips along softly on the tongue this way--
Gary, Indiana, Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana,
Let me say it once again."

No comments:

Post a Comment