Thursday, August 29, 2013

Wisconsin Wines??

After another adventure at the diesel fuel pump this morning (let's just say I'm still learning how to pump it and which pumps I can and can't use... more on that later) I wound up driving on back Wisconsin country roads for a long while. After cornfields for miles and dairy farms I finally stumbled on New Lisbon,  Wisconsin - apparently known as "the friendliest city." I saw a sign for Burr Oaks Winery and knew I'd have to stop and give Wisconsin wines a try. The place is set in the middle of cornfields and housed inside an old barn. They grow plenty of grapes on the property - although still unsure how the grape growing works with the Wisconsin winters. $5 gets you a souvenir glass and the choice of several tastings. I'll be honest - the wines weren't the best.... although they did have one reserve oak red that was pretty good. They also had a Wisconsin original - cranberry wine! That's right, no grapes... just cranberries.

When I went to leave a man was pulling in and came over to me and asked "what year is she?" After looking at him like I had no idea what he was talking about, I realized he was talking about my car! I looked up and saw he too had a 2012 jetta sportwagon tdi! We started chatting about the cars... he gave me plenty of tips. I explained I had some difficulty with the pump earlier trying to fill with diesel (the auto shutoff kept going on) and that I was confused as to whether I could use big nozzles the truckers use. He gave me some pointers... so hopefully I won't run out of diesel now.

Turns out the man was also the owner of the vineyard.  We spent some time chatting about wines and in particular his vineyard. While I wasn't the biggest fan of the wines, the experience was a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment