Thursday, August 29, 2013

Police Standoff Delays Family Reunion

I left Milwaukee and headed north to Appleton. Very last minute I messaged a bunch of family in the Appleton/Oshkosh/Green Bay area to see if there was any chance they could meet for dinner. Luckily a bunch of them could. As I drove along the new GPS unit said I'd make it there in time and be 15 minutes early at the restaurant! GREAT! That is until I came to a bridge leaving Oshkosh on highway 41 and all I see is tail lights. I sit, reminded of being in bumper to bumper traffic the day before. A long while later I finally get to the other end of the bridge, only to see cops everywhere and that highway 41 was closed and everyone was being routed off.  Mind you, there were no detour signs. So as soon as I get off, my GPS rerouted me... I follow its directions only to learn it rerouted me back onto the closed highway! So I wind up turning on a different road ignoring the GPS unit's demands I turn around, not really sure where I was going. Soon I see tail lights again. I wound up sitting in traffic next to a corn field for a very long time. Slowly the time I was supposed to meet family came and went.... I was clearly going to be very late.
It turns out the highway was closed because a pair of suspected robbers were in a standoff with police!! Here I'd left DC where I'd expect such crime, etc. and am in Wisconsin where all things seem so peaceful... yet there is a police standoff with guns on the highway.  For those who don't believe me, here's the news report:
http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2013/aug/28/highway-41-closed-due-to-police-incident/
Luckily I made it safely..  albeit late... to Appleton to a bunch of family waiting at a diner. We had a great time catching up and listening to my aunts tell stories from their childhood. Lots of laughs and smiles was just what I needed after being stuck in traffic and after two days on the road. My aunt made a goodie back for me that says on the outside "Go west young lady!" and has treats and snacks in it. I ended up staying the night in Appleton with another aunt and uncle and enjoyed playing with their pug and discussing everything with them from homelessness and the fine arts in Appleton to quilting to my niece and nephew to the politics of the church. All in all, it was a great night, despite the standoff and all the traffic!

No comments:

Post a Comment