Friday, August 30, 2013

South Dakota State Fair

Woke up and turned on the tv in Mitchell, South Dakota to discover the State Fair is going on this week. After asking locals, I learned it was about an hour north... and out of the way. However, when else am I going to be in South Dakota while the state fair is going on?! So I took the detour north. I arrived in Huron early and walked around before the rides opened. I toured the livestock areas and saw the 4H competition - pretty cute seeing 7 year olds walk around with the goats and cows they raised. I also witnessed a demonstration on how to rescue someone when they are trapped in grain - something I'm sure will come in handy.

After looking at all sorts of animals (including a camel and a kangaroo) I went to see the food vendors. When at the fair, you cannot try to eat healthy...  or at least why bother? So I went for the deep fried oreos (it was still well before noon...) They were balanced out later by a bbq bison sandwhich.

As soon as 11am rolled around I went to the South Dakota wine tasting tent! For $5 I got a souvenir glass and a few tastings. The wine was nothing to write home about. In fact, it was pretty horrible. However, they did have rhubarb wine! I gave it a taste, and it wasn't all that bad. I made my way then to an information booth to ask about the rides. A nice older couple was working there and started to ask where I was from, where I was going, etc. They ended up giving me a state fair tshirt as a souvenir to take with me on the road!

I walked around the rides and gave one a go and then decided it was time to hit the road. Pretty exciting start to the day!

Before leaving Mitchell and heading to the state fair I stopped by the Corn Palace. They love their corn so much they built a palace for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment